Dec 6, 2009

Light Line Trout Fishing

In my opinion, trout fishing should only be attempted while using light line and light gear, hence the title of this article, light line trout fishing. I've seen many anglers out on the water that employ rods, reels, and line that's entirely too heavy for trout fishing. Haven't you ever seen leftover fishing line along your favorite river, stream, or lake that's heavy enough to be used for fishing for small sharks? This heavy line is completely unnecessary, especially when fishing for our friends "the trout". I personally don't use any line heavier than 4 pound test for trout fishing, and think that anything over 6 pound test being spooled on your reel is overkill.
Using light line is not only more productive, it's also much more humane. When I say humane, I simply mean that fishing is supposed to be a sport, which means that the fish should have a fighting chance to escape. I have a hard time understanding how "winching" a fish in is any fun, and with a lot of the setups and leftover line I see along the water, that's exactly what many anglers do and are doing. Using light line is more productive because the lighter your fishing line, the less visible it is to the fish. If the fish are less apt to see your line, which is the case with 4 or 6 lb test, you will get more bites.
If you're thinking that light line won't allow you to catch large fish, keep in mind that I regularly catch 2-5 pound fish on 4 pound test monofilament fishing line. I, of course, couldn't land a 10 pound Steelhead on the setup that I'm referring to, but that's not a possibility anyway. My rod and reel that are spooled with for pound test is used for my river and stream trout fishing (and Smallmouth Bass). I have other setups for larger fish. Keep in mind that 4 pound test can withstand 4 pounds of dead weight art its weakest point. And this doesn't take into account that the "bend" in the rod and the drag of the reel takes pressure off of the line while fighting a fish as well. You can catch much larger fish than you may believe on four to six pound test.
As a matter of fact, I've never had a trout (or any other fish) break me off. That is to say, I've never had a trout pull with such force that it broke my line. I've had their teeth eventually wear through my line, but that's why this is called fishing and not catching. My point to this entire article is to help you realize that light line should be used when trout fishing. As I said, it not only adds to the sport, but it's also much more effective. The lighter your fishing line, the more trout you will catch, it's as simple as that.
Couple your use of light line with fishing at the proper place and time, and you're in for one of the best experiences that can be had with your clothes on! What do I mean by the right times? Simple. Pay attention to the weather & moon. There are probably no two things that effect the behavior of fish as much as the weather and moon. Making sure that you're doing your light line trout fishing when the trout are the most active increases your hook up rate dramatically. This simple E-book will give you all of the information you need, so that you can be on the water at the optimum times.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
Gang Hooks Tied On Light Line: http://www.jrwfishing.com/gang_hooks.asp